The oldest professional
drama theater in Latvia is 120 years old. In 1883, a small troupe
of sixteen actors under the leadership of E. Lavrov presented
to the public play by Shpazhinsky "General's wife". The success
of the first performance inspired the troupe and during the
first season more than sixty plays were staged. Among them were
the best plays of Russian and foreign playwrights. In spite
of all difficulties, the theater was constantly growing and
developing. Such talented actors as P. Orlenev, E. Lepkovsky,
A. Ridal, K. Nezlobin, N. Michailovsky worked in this theater
and determined its growing popularity in the country.
The performances staged by great
art director K. Mardzhanov became classical examples of realistic
staging. At the beginning of the 20th century Drama Theater
was considered among the best provincial theaters in Russia.
It had become a true school of realism, where the realistic
representation of life combined with theatricality.
In 1940, Latvia became part of the
Soviet Union. The affiliation influenced the theater's fate
drastically. Soviet ideology determined the work and repertoire
of the theater. In spite of that, the troupe tried to preserve
traditions of Russian drama. Outstanding directors V. Balyunas,
S. Radlov, P. Homsky, A. Katz enriched the repertoire of the
theater with brilliant Russian and foreign plays.
The theater doesn't limit itself
only to the genre of drama. Dialogue, music, dance, pantomime
have already become an inseparable part of its spectaculars.
The modern period of the theater development can be characterized
with physiologism. It tries to penetrate into the inner world
of a man, to understand motives of his behavior. The repertoire
of the theater includes classical plays by Shakespeare, Chekhov,
Turgenev, Bunin and experimental performances like plays by
Bergman, Kokto, Norman, Berberova and others.
Address: Kalku St., 16
Phone: 371-7224660, 371-7225423