ensemble that bears unofficial name Tris Brali or Three Brothers
in English is located in the heart of the Old Town. It's a very
good sample of medieval Riga dwelling buildings.
The oldest house called the White
Brother is the most medieval and dates back to the 15th century.
It has typical characteristic of Latvian medieval architecture
and is the only premise that survived originally from that
The year of birth of the middle Yellow
Brother is 1646. The date is written on the facade. The Green
Brother is the youngest. It was constructed in the middle
of the 18th century. With the pediments facing the street
these houses present the main principles of the medieval architectural
The Latvian Museum of Architecture
that is housed in one of these buildings, and namely in the
White Brother, was founded in 1994. The museum has a database
of Latvian architects from 1869 up to the present. Its drawing
collection contains up to a thousand original drawings and
plans as well as qualitative blueprints and photocopies. The
museum also offers some temporary exhibition programs.
The tradition that members of one
handicraft lived on one street was in full force and effect
in medieval Riga. These three dwelling houses are remains
of former Backer Street, which of course was inhabited by
backers. Standing side by side to each other, the buildings
form a typical ensemble. And this is also the reason why they
are called Three Brothers.
Address: M. Pils St., 17, 19, 21